German cockroaches can be a serious pest that wreaks havoc in bathrooms, garages, hotels, and electronics. If you’re tired of dealing with them, then it’s time to use different preventative measures. Luckily, you’re in the right place to learn all about how to get rid of these invasive bugs.
When you’re looking for the best sprays, baits, and traps for German cockroaches, make sure you’ve identified how big your infestation is. Baits and sprays for instance, work well against colonies of cockroaches while traps work best for single cockroaches.
Throughout this article, you’ll also learn the following details about German roach prevention:
- The best sprays, baits, traps, and powders at your disposal
- Different things that attract German cockroaches
- The effectiveness of each method
- How to prevent them from coming back
If you want a bait that’ll take out the whole colony, then look no further. The Syngenta Advion Cockroach Bait is a top-of-the-line solution to remove all of the German roaches from the building. It’s a slow-acting bait, so don’t expect instant results. However, that’s the main reason that it’s so effective.
When one or two roaches find the bait, then bring it back to their colony. The rest of them are exposed to it, causing them to eat the bait. After a few days, the entire colony will be wiped out or will have run away from the scene. Either way, you’re left with a roach-free environment.
- Easy to use, and a little bit of this product goes a long way
- Slow-acting formula to remove the entire colony rather than a few cockroaches
- Works on all species of roaches
Bait stations are some of the most effective forms of roach prevention in the world. The Max Force FC Roach Bait Stations are an excellent solution to all of your cockroach woes. Each pack comes with a handful of bait stations, allowing you to set them all over the house or hotel without running out of the product.
When you’re placing these stations, making sure they’re scattered throughout the area. Never use them out in the open since most German cockroaches tend to hang out in the shadows. These stations work by providing an attractive bait to ants, roaches, and other invasive bugs. Once they go to the station, they won’t come out.
- Several bait stations are included in each pack
- Easy to set and forget each unit
- Attracts hundreds of roaches before needing a replacement
As an important note, you should always contact a pest control professional regarding your specific situation. You can find a local exterminator near you using our nationwide partner network of pest control companies by clicking here.
The Combat Max 12-Month Roach Bait works much like a combination of the two previous selections on the list. It’s a trapping bait station that attracts countless roaches to it. Once they get inside, they bring the bait back to their colony. As the colony feeds on the bait, they’re all exposed to the substance.
These bait traps are some of the best because they have a ramp that allows each roach to get in easily. The entrance is wide enough for full-grown roaches, unlike the vast majority of other bait stations.
- Each trap lasts for up to one year
- Set it and watch as the roaches bring the bait back to their colony
- A wide entrance that’s big enough for roaches of all sizes
Raid is one of the most well-known brands in the pest prevention industry. Their Raid Double-Control Small Roach Baits are perfect for younger roaches. They bring all of the bait back to their colony, similar to the way that most other bait traps work. However, this formula tends to work a bit quicker than others.
What makes these bait traps so unique is that they stop eggs as well. Rather than removing adult roaches and allowing the eggs to hatch, they cut out both the problem and its source. Both of them come with separate food types to attract all types of cockroaches.
- Includes egg and adult roach preventatives
- Quick-acting formula to fix the problem in a matter of days
- Odor-free solution that doesn’t stink up the room
Gel bait offers a unique way to get rid of German cockroaches. Rather than using bait traps, you can use the gel wherever you notice them the most. Vendetta Plus Cockroach Gel Bait is one of the best gels that you can get. You’ll receive several tubes per purchase, giving you months or years of prevention.
It works by allowing the roaches to bring it back to their nests. However, the gel is sticky enough to trap smaller roaches. The final result will be zero adult or young roaches throughout your home.
- Apply it wherever you notice an abundance of roaches
- Easy to remove the adhesive without any marks
- Traps cockroaches in their tracks
If you want to apply a gel for cockroach prevention, then the Advion German Cockroach Pest Control is incredibly easy to use. It comes with four tubes and four corresponding plungers that allow you to choose exactly where the formula is applied. Since German roaches tend to hide near darkness and warmth, it would be a good place to start.
These tubes match all building codes, so they can be used in schools, hotels, houses, apartment complexes, and more. Furthermore, the gel lasts for weeks or months prior to needing a replacement.
- Comes with enough gel for a whole building
- Easy to apply the solution with the provided plungers
- Matches all building and pest control codes
The ZOECON Gentrol Insect Growth Regulator Spray is a great choice if you want to mist the whole area. It foams up, covering large walkways and small crevices without much work. Don’t worry about cleaning up the mess; It’ll dissipate and soak into the surface soon enough. For a more accurate application, try using the provided nozzle.
If your goal is only to prevent cockroaches from showing up, then this product will be the best choice for you. It keeps colonies away, protecting your home or business from roach infestations.
- A quick and easy application process
- Prevents cockroaches and other bugs from invading
- Foaming solution covers a large area; Up to 1,200 square feet per can
If your building has cracks and crevices with bugs living inside, give Ortho Defense Insect Spray a try. It’s made with a foaming agent that expands in small spaces, penetrating the most narrow and deepest cracks around your home, hotel, or other building. Since roaches tend to hide in these places, this spray is the perfect solution.
It’s easy to apply thanks to the nozzle, but there’s much more to this bottle as well. A single-use keeps bugs away for up to 18 months. Compared to similar sprays around the same price range, this can far outperform.
- Designed for those hard to reach areas
- Expands to cover more interior surface area
- Lasts for up to 18 months before needing another application
The Rockwell Labs Cockroach Gel is one of the fastest products on the market for roach repellents. It takes out the subject within 20 minutes, so no more waiting around for a week or more. It applies in a thin bead, allowing you to protect specific areas of the room as you see fit.
When other roaches come near the contaminated bug, they’re exposed to the same gel as well. You’ll be able to take out entire nests with a single bottle, thanks to the secondary action. It’s also free of numerous common allergens.
- Reacts in only 20 minutes or less with a secondary finisher
- Contains unharmful ingredients to humans
- Allows for the roach to bring it back to their colony
The Harris Roach Tablets are some of the smallest treatments for German cockroaches. They’re made to fit under refrigerators, in small cabinets, and other tight spaces that roaches tend to hide. These pellets attract all types of roaches, ants, and other bugs. They’re then able to remove the pests.
Each package contains around 145 pellets, which is enough to treat up 12 or more rooms. You can scatter them all over, as long as they’re spread evenly throughout an area. They last for several weeks before it’s time to replace them. Feel free to stock up prior to the oncoming bug season!
- A simple, quick solution to German roach infestations
- Comes with enough treatments for 12 rooms per package
- Attracts and eliminates roaches, ants, and other bugs
Each bottle of the Demon Max Insecticide can be used to treat cracks, crevices, open spot treatments, and more. Make sure you use safety gloves, goggles, and protective clothing when you’re applying this product since it’s one of the strongest available. It’s recommended that you hire a professional to perform the application.
This roach repellant can be used inside or outside, as long as you give it enough time to dry. Once it dries, it won’t harm you, your family, or your pets. Note: This product is a liquid, so you’ll have to manually apply it to every surface. For this reason, you might want to consider using a sponge or microfiber cloth.
- One of the strongest roach preventative solutions available
- Designed for all surfaces
- Can be used to spot treat or coat cracks and crevices
Diatomaceous earth is a natural insect repellent. As the name suggests, it’s made out of crushed earth that’s repurposed for multiple reasons. The Safer Brand Diatomaceous Earth provides a quick solution for cockroaches. Sprinkle this powered product around the areas that tend to have more roaches.
Any insect that ingests the formula will become dehydrated within 24 to 48 hours. The roach powder stays on their back, legs, and head, bringing it back to the colony. Not only can it remove more roaches, but they’ll also be attracted to get more diatomaceous earth when they find the source.
- A natural solution to remove and dehydrate bugs
- Potentially eliminates the pests within two days of exposure
- Naturally attracts countless roaches and other invasive bugs
Are you tired of all those harsh chemicals found in most pest control sprays? Luckily, the MDXConcepts Organic Home Pest Control Spray uses natural, organic ingredients to take out the roaches around your home. It’s more than safe spray around sinks, cabinets, refrigerators, and more.
With primary ingredients such as peppermint, spearmint, and rosemary oil, you’ll know that you’re using a safe product. A few sprays will be enough to coat an area, so a single bottle is enough for a whole house for several uses.
- All-natural, organic ingredients to keep you safe
- Smells wonderful from the rosemary, spearmint, and peppermint oils
- Dries almost instantly
Of all the different ways that you can prevent cockroaches from coming back, the Ever Pest Ultrasonic Pest Repeller has to be the most unique method. They’re used to plug into a 12V outlet, and each unit comes with a built-in nightlight that can be turned on or off. They also work from -30 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
The way this ultrasonic repeller works is it emits a frequency of sound that humans and pets can’t hear. However, bugs and rodents are more than capable of hearing it. They naturally dislike the sound, so it keeps them away from the area. Place a few of these around the house or outside to rid the area of roaches.
- Non-toxic, chemical-free method of roach prevention
- Wide range of operating temperature
- Simple plug-and-use operation; Emits a frequency that repels bugs
* To put this out there, the research is up in the air regarding the effectiveness of ultrasonic pest repellers. This one is specifically marketed towards roaches, so it’s included as an option if you’ve had success with them in the past. You can read more on the research on ultrasonic repellers here.
The Hot Shot Roach Bait comes in a liquid trap form that sticks to the back, legs, and head of every cockroach. Whether they’re small or big, they’ll bring it back to their nest for complete removal of the roaches. They’re designed to sit flush with a surface, so chances are that all bugs won’t know they’re in a trap.
This product goes a step further by eliminating the eggs carried by every cockroach. It also goes back to the nest as mentioned above, stopping eggs before they can hatch. You’ll be ridding your home of all roaches along with their eggs with a budget-friendly trap.
- Low-profile design that doesn’t look tacky
- Liquid form to bring it back to the rest of the nest
- Eliminates small and large roaches, as well as their eggs
Using box traps has been a solution for invading bugs for several decades. Not only does it attract cockroaches, but it stops them from moving around once they enter the box. Exterminator’s Choice Large Glue Sticky Traps are perfect for roaches of all sizes. Once they enter the box, they won’t be able to leave.
After several weeks of setting out underneath cabinets, fridges, and in crevices, these boxes can be replaced. They don’t produce a foul odor, nor are they dangerous for you to have in your kitchen. All you have to do is open the box, set it in the designated spot, and add the packet that comes with each unit.
- Traps cockroaches without letting them leave
- Claims to last for several weeks or months per box
- Quick, simply, non-toxic German roach repellant
The Terro T500 Multi-Surace Roach Traps are just about as simple as it gets. All you have to do is attach the bottom of the trap to any surface and wait for the roaches to come. They can hang upside-down, right side up, sideways, or any other direction. The only limitation is that you have to dry the surface prior to attaching the bait station.
These traps produce scents that attract roaches. Once they’re filled up with them, you’ll be able to look through the clear lens on top. Remove the roaches and replace the trap with a new one. Each package comes with enough to cover several rooms for a low-end price point.
- They attach to virtually any flat, dry surface
- The clear top allows you to know when it’s time to replace the trap
- Incredibly cheap solution compared to other cockroach bait stations
The Harris Boric Acid Roach Powder naturally attracts roaches with boric acid. They run to the powder, bring it back to their colony, and do all of the hard work for you. Rather than following trails and searching through crevices, you can let the cockroaches take the weight off of your shoulders.
This product comes with a duster that you can squeeze to coat an area. Puff it into cracks, crevices, between cabinets, or wherever else you notice roaches. Roaches, ants, spiders, and most other bugs will be eliminated within 72 hours of exposure to the powder.
- Includes an application device to keep your hands clean
- Forces roaches to take the powder back to their nest
- Formula claims to work within 72 hours of exposure on numerous species of bugs
Much like the previous powder on the list, the Hot Shot MaxAttrax Roach Powder is quite easy to use. It comes in a bottle with a nozzle on top to control the puffs. Squeeze the bottle wherever you notice roaches. They’ll bring it back, just as they would with all other liquids, powders, and gels.
This powder doesn’t smell like anything, which means you won’t have to worry about using it in kitchens, bedrooms, garages, and other indoor spaces. It’s also very long-lasting, preventing you from having to continuously apply new layers.
- Scentless, long-lasting solution
- Comes in an application bottle for instant usage
- Covers cracks, small spaces, and anywhere else you’d like to use it
What to Look For
When you’re using an insect repellant of any kind, including German roach preventatives, it’s important that they’re used safely. They can’t be applied anywhere that could come in contact with your eyes, ears, mouth, or nose.
There are so many options on the list above, so let’s break down the choices by figuring out exactly what you need to look for.
Here’s a list of five considerations when you’re getting the best sprays, baits, and traps for German Roaches:
- According to the Oxford Academic, not all insecticides are useful. Chlorpyrifos, acephate, carbamates propoxur, and bendiocarb were all known to show high-resistance levels from a wide study that covered several types of roaches. The good news is that none of the choices above feature those ingredients.
- Do you prefer powder, liquid, traps, or another form of prevention? They’re all very effective, but there’s no denying the difference between each substance. Powders can be messy, but they’re easy to apply. Traps are easy as well, but they can add a tacky appearance sometimes. Finally, liquid is often very potent, so you’ll have to wear safety gear.
- Consider hiring a professional. It’s always a better idea to have an expert handle insecticides and even work with them for a consult before using any sort of insecticide yourself. You can use our nationwide partner network of exterminators to find a pest control professional near you.
- How big of an area are you covering? When you’re about to buy the repellant, remember to get enough to cover the same area twice. We’ve all made mistakes, so simple hiccups can be recovered with a backup supply. You’ll also have enough for when it’s time to replace the prevent layer gel, liquid, powder, or set of traps.
- Do you have a budget in mind? Traps are usually the cheapest solution, but you might be able to find sprays that come with a low price tag. Liquids are usually a bit more expensive because they’re much more potent. All supplies intended for professional-use only will have a higher cost as well.
What Attracts German Cockroaches
German cockroaches are frustrating to deal with. Once you notice one of them crawling across the floor, it’s often too late; An invasion has started.
Much like all other bugs, they’re attracted to various problems that we can avoid. Let’s review a handful of things that attract German roaches below.
- Roaches are attracted to areas where they find food, along with dark, damp, moist, and covered areas. Anywhere that supplies all three of those will be a huge attraction for German cockroaches. This includes luggage with leftover food crumbs, uncleaned hotel rooms, kitchens, garages, and more.
- Nighttime is a common time to see roaches. They usually run out and look for food when people aren’t present. They’re timid bugs, but they’re not afraid to scavenge for scraps when nobody is around. If you notice a few of them during the day time, then there’s a high chance that you have a large infestation.
- Trash cans are a popular hotspot for German roaches to gather. They love the infinite food source, warmth from decomposing scraps, and darkness provided by the large container. All three of their needs are met, which is why it’s no surprise that nests are often found nearby.
- Boric acid attracts cockroaches, which is why it’s used in so many traps. You’ve probably noticed that commonality between several of the baits, traps, and powders on the list above. Once the roach goes to the boric acid, they’re then affected by whatever form of repellant found in the formula.
- Bathrooms tend to be another gathering area for roaches. They’re dark and have loads of moisture from natural humidity caused by the water sources. You’ve probably found them behind toilets, under the sink, and other hidden locations. Using gel or powder is a great way to keep them at bay when they’re in small spaces.
As you can see, there are plenty of things that will attract German cockroaches to your home, hotel, or business place. Now that you know what makes them want to show up, you’ll be able to prevent the nests from growing.
Keep in mind that some places, such as bathrooms and garages, are almost impossible to completely prevent roaches without using a type of bait. However, the low-cost formulas on the list will be more than enough to keep your property looking perfect.
That’s a wrap!
German cockroaches are an annoying pest, but you can prevent and eliminate them with very little effort. Choose between powders, liquids, sprays, gels, and other solutions to tackle the issue before it gets bigger. Even if it’s already gotten out of hand, there’s not a roach nest on the planet that can withstand the treatments available today.
Here’s a quick recap of the post:
- Remember to focus on cracks, crevices, and narrow spaces.
- Roaches need warmth, food, and moisture.
- There are plenty of toxic and non-toxic solutions to choose from.
- Boric acid and diatomaceous earth both attract cockroaches within minutes.
Appel, A. G., & Tanley, M. J. (2000). Laboratory and field performance of an imidacloprid gel bait against German cockroaches (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae). Journal of economic entomology, 93(1), 112-118.
Appel, A. G. (1992). Performance of gel and paste bait products for German cockroach (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae) control: laboratory and field studies. Journal of economic entomology, 85(4), 1176-1183.
Ballard, J. B., & Gold, R. E. (1982). The effect of selected baits on the efficacy of a sticky trap in the evaluation of German cockroach populations. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, 86-90.
Ebeling, W., & Reierson, D. A. (1970). Effect of population density on exploratory activity and mortality rate of German cockroaches in choice boxes. Journal of Economic Entomology, 63(2), 350-355.
Ngoh, S. P., Choo, L. E., Pang, F. Y., Huang, Y., Kini, M. R., & Ho, S. H. (1998). Insecticidal and repellent properties of nine volatile constituents of essential oils against the American cockroach, Periplaneta americana (L.). Pesticide science, 54(3), 261-268.
Rust, M. K., Reierson, D. A., & Hansgen, K. H. (1991). Control of American cockroaches (Dictyoptera: Blattidae) in sewers. Journal of medical entomology, 28(2), 210-213.
Moore, R. C. (1972). Boric acid-silica dusts for control of German cockroaches. Journal of economic entomology, 65(2), 458-461.
Zack is a Nature & Wildlife specialist based in Upstate, NY, and is the founder of his Tree Journey and Pest Pointers brands. He has a vast experience with nature while living and growing up on 50+ acres of fields, woodlands, and a freshwater bass pond. Zack has encountered many pest situations over the years and has spent his time maintaining and planting over 35 species of trees since his youth with his family on their property.
Download My Free E-Book!
Take a look at my guide on Pest Proofing Your Home In Under a Day! I get into the nitty-gritty on the most common types of pests you’ll see on your property including BOTH insects and wildlife, along with the specific signs to look for regarding any pest you have questions about.